Frequently Asked Questions

While every situation is unique, there are a number of reccurring questions that come through our Division. Here you can find some of these questions with concise answers and links to more in-depth information.

Animal Care
  • Contact your local County Sheriff’s office for companion animals such as horses, dogs and cats.
  • Contact Animal Industries for production animals such as cattle, sheep, goats and swine.
  • Review this biosecurity information. Implement the measures that are most appropriate for your operation size and type.
  • Follow all rules and recommendations for vaccination and testing of your animals.
  • If you are concerned about dead wildlife, contact IDFG at 208-465-8465 or 208-634-8137.
  • If you are a producer, follow the disposal requirements as outlined in IDAPA 02.04.17 “Rules Governing Dead Animal Movement and Disposal”.
  • If you are concerned about livestock not being disposed of properly, you can contact ISDA or file a complaint.
Animal Disease
  • Vaccination: While there are some exceptions, for the most part resident female cattle and bison require vaccination between 4 and 12 months of age and female cattle and bison being imported require vaccination if they are 4 months of age or older.
  • Testing: Regular testing is required for cattle herds located within or moving our of the Designated Surveillance Area (DSA).
  • Testing is required before any adult brucellosis vaccinations are given.
  • Testing is required for animals being used for the raw milk program.
  • Testing is also required for certain intact sheep and goats being imported into Idaho.
  • Rabies vaccination is required for dogs and cats 12 weeks and older being imported into the state of Idaho. While there is no state-level vaccination mandate, individual cities and counties may impose their own requirements and it is recommended to keep your animals up to date on vaccinations.
  • Annual trichomoniasis testing is required for all resident bulls 24 months and older, except dairy bulls in dry lot operations.
  • PCR testing is required for imported bulls 18 months and older, except those going to approved feedlots.
  • A current season PCR test is required for herds included on grazing permits.
  • Idaho domestic cervidae producers are required to meet the minimum CWD testing requirements as outlined in IDAPA 02.04.19 “Rules Governing Domestic Cervidae. Producers participating in the national CWD Herd Certification Program (HCP) are required to meet the testing requirements as outlined in the CWD HCP Program Standards.
  • West Nile Virus is transmitted to humans and several different animal types through mosquitoes. It is recommended to vaccinate animals annually, and manage mosquito populations as much as possible.
  • Most frequently, vesicular stomatitis impacts livestock imports. Any Idaho resident animals found to be positive or exposed to positive animals would be quarantined to help prevent spread.
Animal Feeding
  • The main way ISDA works with feedlots within the state is regarding waste management. ISDA does not regulate the number of animals allowed on a property, this is regulated by individual counties.
  • If you have concerns about potentially improper waste management, you can contact ISDA to request an investigation.
  • Approved feedlots are facilities allowed to feed non-qualified cattle, typically with a final destination of slaughter.
  • Rodeo Bull Lots are facilities allowed to keep bulls for use in rodeos without being tested for trichomoniasis.

Animal Identification
  • Traceability is the system put in place to enhance our ability to locate animals quickly and efficiently, especially when there are disease concerns or outbreaks. Traceability is vital to the protection of Idaho’s livestock.
  • Sheep and goats, swine, cervidae, poultry and certain classes of cattle require official identification when crossing state lines. In most cases, the identification should be listed on a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection.
  • While the requirements vary by species, generally any animal requiring testing or vaccination which is recorded on a USDA form must have official ID in place.
  • Tagging sites are facilities approved by the state to receive animals without official identification, then apply identification tags on-site.
Animal Movement
  • The Brand Inspector is part of Idaho State Police. Their office can explain what the brand requirements are for movement into, out of and throughout Idaho.
  • With the exception of animals leaving the Designated Surveillance Area for Brucellosis (DSA), there are not typically requirements for animals to leave the state of Idaho. The state of destination, however, likely has requirements for your animals to enter.
  • Idaho domestic cervidae producers must be enrolled in the CWD Herd Certification Program and have a CWD certified status in order to move animals across state lines. Interstate movement eligibility depends on participation in the program, compliance with the requirements, and herd certification status.
  • While the requirements vary by species, at the very least every animal requires a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection. More information can be found under each animal type.
  • A Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI), also called a Health Certificate, is a document issued by a licensed and accredited veterinarian for interstate movement of animals. The information recorded on a CVI includes location information, animal demographics, and testing and vaccination information. The CVI attests that any animal listed on it is healthy for interstate movement. These documents are vital to the protection of the health of all animals within the state.

If you are interested in obtaining a CVI, contact your local veterinarian

  • Other than animals moving out of the Designated Surveillance Area (DSA) for brucellosis, there are no health requirements for movement within the state. Although not required by the state, many fairs and other animal-centered events require testing and/or paperwork – always check with your event coordinator.
  • Horses, goats and other pack animals that are coming into the state for hunting still need to meet the standard import requirements. Because there is often not a physical address available for hunting locations, the closest trailhead, campground, or the Idaho Department of Fish and Game Hunt unit may be used as the destination on the Certificate of Veterinary Inspection.
Animal Licensing
  • Egg distributors and candlers have licenses that renew July 1 of every year.
  • Individuals that have less than 300 birds are allowed to sell ungraded eggs, as long as they are labeled as “UNGRADED EGGS” with the individual’s name, address and phone number.
  • While the state does not require a license just to own cattle, certain facility types do have licensing or certification requirements:
  • There may be instances where the state does not require a license but county and/or city requirements may be different. Always check with your local offices to make sure you meet their requirements.
Animal Ownership
  • The premises registration program in Idaho is currently voluntary. Registering a premises helps in tracing animals quickly during animal health emergencies, and allows producers to purchase 840 tags for animal identification as well as participate in the USDA Scrapie Program.
Animal Waste
  • If you are a producer, follow the disposal requirements as outlined in IDAPA 02.04.17 “Rules Governing Dead Animal Movement and Disposal”.
  • If you are concerned about livestock not being disposed of properly, you can contact ISDA or file a complaint.

Contact Animal Industries