Animal Care


The Idaho State Department of Agriculture (ISDA) is the primary contact point for concerns regarding the care of production animals – cattle, sheep, pigs, chickens, etc.  If you have concerns about the treatment of production animals, please file a complaint by using our online complaint form or contacting ISDA by phone at  (866) 435-0490.


Local authorities are the main contact for non-production animals such as dogs, cats, and horses. Please contact the sheriff’s office in your county to investigate concerns about the care of one of these animals.


There are many different animal species living throughout the state. While it is often impossible to know everything about caring for an animal until you own it, it is important to learn as much as you can. By knowing the traits, habits, health concerns, and costs of owning an animal you can become a more responsible and loving owner. Many animals are held as pets and considered family members by some. Other animals are kept for production purposes. You are responsible for each animal you own, including providing basic needs such as food, water, appropriate shelter and veterinary care when needed. Minimum requirements can be found in Title 25, Chapter 35, Idaho Code, “Animal Care,” and additional resources are found below.


American Veterinary Medical Association
National Agricultural Laboratory

If you are looking for information on a complaint filed by or against you, please complete a public records request.